Friday, July 11, 2014

TRYING SQUIDBALL AGAIN

I have promised a friend I will blog about my squidball recipe & here I am.

It has been a long time since my first & last attempt in making squidball. But because K was craving for it, I thought of giving it a chance again. This time, I searched the net & compared recipes specifically those with videos. Glad to find Pinay Cooking Lessons in YouTube. Her video was easy to understand & follow. She also have a lot of helpful tips.

Instead of fish, I used squid & made a little changes in the recipe but you can find the complete video with the recipe here. However, I didn't have a mini chopper; so for now, I used the mill grinder that came along when we bought a blender.

SHRIMP-SQUID BALL

Ingredients:
500 g. Shrimp, shelled & devained
250 g. Squid, cleaned & cut into rings
4 tbsp. Cornstarch
3 tbsp. Carrots, minced
2 tbsp. Onion leaves, finely chopped
1 Egg white
1/2 tsp. Garlic, finely mined
1 tsp. Sugar
1/4 tsp. Ginger juice
Salt & pepper to taste
Canola or vegetable oil for deep frying

Directions:
Using a chopper, finely minced the shrimp & squid, separately.

In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients together. Mix well until all the ingredients are incorporated together.

Heat the oil in a deep sauce pan, Using two teaspoons, scoop a little shrimp-squid mixture with one teaspoon. Form a ball using the other teaspoon by transferring the shrimp-squid mixture between each other. Drop 1 ball to the heated oil first & deep fry until golden brown. Note that it will expend during cooking & shrinks when taken out of the heat. Scoop out the squidball once cooked & drain excess oil in paper towel. Taste to know if the mixture is just right.

Once you get the squidball according to your taste, you can repeat this process by batch until you finish all the shrimp-squid mixture. Remember not to over crowd the pan.

Serve with sweet & sour sauce or just like us, patis (fish sauce) with lemon. I tried to make Pinay Cooking Lessons' sauce (Nanay Lilay's Fishball Sauce) but it was a fail. Will try next time though.

Will post my chickenball recipe in the coming days. Enjoy your squidball...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think.
Will try my best to reply to all of your comments.