Monday, September 19, 2011

ASIAN ROASTED CHICKEN { Foodography }


I have been wanting to blog about this for weeks already but just had enough time to do it right now. Lol. We celebrated our 8th wedding anniversary last month, August 28, 2011 to be exact. But we chose to celebrate it the day before I chose to cook the day before our anniversary since the 28th would be a Sunday, a working day for all of us here in UAE. A few days before I am already scanning my new free food magazines, Good Taste, for easy-to-bake goodness and fortunately found this yumminess. I think it is easy to bake and delicious, too. And I am so glad everybody liked it. Later in the afternoon. hubby and I watched a movie; I considered it a date since we rarely go out anymore. We watched Zookeeper and we enjoyed and we kept on laughing.

So try this sumptuous roasted chicken. It is easy to bake with less and easy-to-find ingredients required. Here the recipe recommended to serve it with steamed vegetables but we served it with Ampalaya Salad (Bitter Gourd Salad). The chicken meat is soft, juicy and tasty; a little bit of sweetness and chili were there but no ingredient empowered the taste. It's a blend of everything. As for the chili sauce, I used sweet chilli sauce instead and  used only 20 ml since I have kids. I wanted them to enjoy the chicken.

Asian Roasted Chicken


Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 90 minutes
Serves: 4

Ingredients:
15 ml Sesame oil
15 ml Oil
30 ml Lemon juice
15 ml Garlic, chopped
30 ml Fresh ginger, grated
30 ml Chili sauce
30ml Soy sauce
30 ml Hoisin sauce
30 ml Honey or apricot jam
1 medium Whole free-range chicken
Strings for tying the chicken legs

Procedure:
1.Pre-heat oven to 200ÂșC.

2. Combine all the ingredients (except the chicken and string) in a bowl to make a basting sauce.

3. Rinse the chicken and pat dry. Place in roasting tray and brush with basting sauce. Tie the legs of the chicken with a string and tuck in the wings.

4. Place the chicken in the oven and roast for 90 minutes.

5. Remove from pan, tipping the juices from the cavity into the pan, and allow it to rest for 5 minutes.

6. Cut the chicken into portions and serve with steamed rice, green beans, bok choy or wilted baby spinach.

Note:
While the chicken is resting, pour 125 ml coconut milk into the simmering pan with the juices (from the chicken) and stir well to make a fragrant gravy. Just a few minutes or until the gravy is a little thick but pourable. For me, I placed the roasting tray directly on the stove top and then cook the gravy from there.

4 comments:

  1. Looks really great! I must bookmark this to cook for my hubby and son sometimes. You think it will be fine if I put some chunky veggies in with the chicken to roast? You know, just so that me the vegetarian can enjoy the recipe with the canivores in the family. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi grid, is it possible to use a Turbo Broiler instead of an oven?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @pom... thanks pom. sure pom go ahead & experiment. i think stuffing veggies into the chicken can add flavor. then tell me how it turned out. i'll try to make the bittergourd salad again & post it here so you can try it too someday. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. @mads... i havent tried turbo broiler but i think it's possible. hehehe... i'll ask a foodie godmother though. lol ♥

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think.
Will try my best to reply to all of your comments.